The activities of NÚV within the area of the institutional care and preventive educational care focus nowadays mainly on following issues:
- The development and innovation of quality standards for childcare in facilities providing institutional and protective care or in educational care centres;
- the development and innovation of special standards of quality (for example for ambulant educational care centres);
- methodical support and education concerning the quality standards;
- mapping of the educational needs and implementation of educational programmes within the continuing education of workers in facilities providing institutional and protective care or in educational care centres;
- research activities in the area of the institutional and preventive educational care;
- monitoring Czech and international trends in foster care systems;
- organisation of conferences and meetings;
- participation on the development of legislative, conceptual and methodical documents.
The National Institute for Education takes part in the improvement of quality and professional growth of many different groups of pedagogical staff working at schools and education facilities by providing courses concerning the institutional and protective care.